I provide mental health counseling for clients who are dealing with anxiety, worry, depression, grief, anger, low self esteem or difficulty adjusting to stressors in their life, such as jobs and relationships, divorce or parenting. I also work with postpartum depression/anxiety which occurs in 20% of mothers.
I utilize modern psychotherapy with a positive perspective. I am passionate about helping clients to find their inner resources and strengths to cope with the various challenges of life. This includes the courage to face the truth, the reality of their present situation and then to focus on future possibility. I work to help people see the opportunity for growth in the challenges they are facing, to overcome obstacles and take responsibility for creating a happier life.
Depending on the need and comfort level of the client I work with the following methods:
- Cognitive behavioral: Help clients identify negative, distorted self defeating thoughts and beliefs and replace them with realistic, positive thoughts. Identify self defeating behaviors and work to replace them with more self affirming behaviors.
- Insight Oriented: Help clients to see consciously the obstacles to growth that they have from negative patterns of thinking, behaving, feeling about themselves from family of origin or other situations. Work to clarify and change patterns.
- “Parts” Work: Identify and give voice to different “parts” of the person to help clarify the different roles and needs within a person. Work to meet needs of different parts or transform them into healthier parts to eventually integrate the different parts onto a healthy whole.
- Transpersonal Psychology: For clients that are looking for it. Here I work from the “top-down” – to access the soul and higher consciousness and align the physical, emotional, and mental aspects of a person with the soul direction. Utilize meditation, visualization, development of the virtues and service.
EAP (Employee Assistance Programs) and Medical Insurance accepted include:
- Aetna, AZ Foundation for Medical Care, Arizona Biodyne , Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Blue Cross/ Blue Shield of Arizona, Contact, Corphealth, Holman Group, Horizon Health, Magellan Health Services, PHCS, RAN/AMN, United Healthcare/ United Behavioral Health, VMC, and Wellpoint
I recommend clients call their insurance to confirm that I am in the mental health provider network. If I am not listed ask if they have reimbursement for “out of network” providers.